Lured to New York by Jim Jarmusch, Cassis B Staudt grew into a role producing the Palme d’or winner Coffee and Cigarettes featuring Iggy Pop and Tom Waits. As a composer of film music, she provided the concept and theme music for the Oscar-nominated documentary Ferry Tales. Following music studies at the Hamburg State University and Juilliard, Cassis B is now a regular visiting scholar at European and American universities.
Cassis B has recorded and toured internationally with Swans founder Michael Gira’s band Angels of Light as well as with her own bands and as a DJ. Having composed the score for About a Girl, Herbie Flowers chose her in 2006 to teach songwriting in his popular week-long Rock Shop workshops in the UK.
Triptych, her first symphony, was performed in Berlin in 2016. Her current project, a commissioned climate symphony is nearing completion. One of her sound sculptures has been exhibited in Denver International Airport.
Recent nominations include the Deutsche Dokumentarfilm-Musikpreis for her evocative score with voices for Marcel Kolvenbach’s documentary Searching for Fritz Kann. Cassis B continues to write for film, television and games. She is a member of Deutsche Filmakademie, DEFKOM, Composers Club and Pro Quote.
Member of Pro Quote Film e.V. / AWFC / DKV / DEFKOM / Composers Club / Deutsche Filmakademie.
WORK IN PROGRESS:
- TELL THEM ABOUT US D: Rand Beiruty theme song cinema
- CLIMATE SYMPHONY composer: Cassis B in progress
- ADAM & IDA (score/composer/artistic sounddesign) D: Jan Tenhaven doc TV NDR 2022
- SEARCHING FOR FRITZ KANN (score/composer/artistic sounddesign) D: Marcel Kolvenbach doc cinema NOMINATED for the DEUTSCHER DOKUMENTARFILM MUSIKPREIS 2022
- BROWSER GAME DER KLEINE STERN (composer/artistic sounddesign) Design: Peter Machat 2021
- DER KRIEG IN MIR (score/composer) D: Sebastian Heinzel doc ZDF/ARTE 2020
- GODS OF MOLENBEEK (theme song) D: Reeta Huhtanen doc ARTE 2019
Golden Lynx Award for Best Documentary Feature: New Directors New Films Festival
Best Foreign Language Film at Doxs! Documentaries for children and youth, Duisburg
- Hélène's BRIEFE (score/composer) D: Petra Wagner 2D and 3D short film choreography 2020
- DIE ANFÄNGERIN (source music) D: Alexandra Sell feature ZDF/ARTE 2018
- ORCHESTRAL FILM MUSIC Symphonic Triptych 01 (composer) commissioned by Otto-Sinfoniker to
films of Leighton Pierce, Phil Solomon and Paul Clipson 2016 hearart.de
- AMERICAN RIVERS (signature music) D: Katja Esson 5-part doc TV series RBB/ARTE 2016
- THE NEXT GREAT AMERICAN GAME (score/composer) D: Douglas Morse doc 2015
- MISTRESS (score/composer) D: Anja Murmann short fiction cinema 2014
- EINZELKÄMPFER/I WILL NOT LOSE (score/composer) D: Sandra Kaudelka doc
cinema ZDF 2014 63. Berlinale Perspektive Deutsches Kino
- BACKROADS (composer) D: Katja Esson 5-part doc TV series ARTE 2013
- ANTS GO MANY WAYS (score/composer) D: Catharina Deus feature cinema ZDF 2011
Co-writings with J Mascis from Dinosaur Jr Winner of the Biber: Biberach Filmfestival
- ANALOG LOVE (composer, bandleader) Bug Music CD 2009
- FLYPAPERTHIN (composer, bandleader) soundtrack Bug Music CD 2008
- LIVING LIGHTLY (score/composer) D: Robin Burke doc PBS 2006 winner director’s
choice, Kentucky Filmfestival
- EMPIRE II (composer) D: Amos Poe doc film poem 2007
- DIE BOXERIN - ABOUT A GIRL (score/composer) D: Catharina Deus feature/cinema ZDF 2006
German Independence Award, Best Film, Filmfest Oldenburg; Rio de Janeiro: Femina - International
Women’s Film Festival, Best Student Feature Film
- SOUNDSCULPTURE DENVER AIRPORT (sound artist) 2004
- FERRY TALES (Idea/theme song) D: Katja Esson doc cinema HBO 2003
Oscar nominated in 2004
- ZODIAC SIGN (songs) D: Peter Patzak feature cinema MDR 3Sat 2001 winner of Emerging
Maverick Award, San Jose 2003
- YOU ARE HERE (composer, bandleader) Bug Music CD 2001
- VERTICAL TRAVELER (score/composer) D: Katja Esson doc PBS 2000
- HEARTCORE (composer, bandleader) Bug Music CD 1999
- VOICE OF BERLIN BANTER CD/Vinyl release ALL TOO FAMILIAR 2022
- BANDLEADER/COMPOSER BEAUTY & THE Bs soundtrack recordings 2016-2022
- SONGWRITING TUTOR Herbie Flowers' Rock Shop 2006-2013
- BANDLEADER/COMPOSER CASSIS & THE SYMPATHIES CD releases Europe/Mexico tour 2003-2009
- BAND ANGELS OF LIGHT + SWANS RECORDINGS Bandleader: Michael Gira 1999-2020
- DEAD MAN (main SCOUT, Ass. LM) D: Jim Jarmusch feature 1995
- DJ DUO SCRATCH 'N SNIFF (2000-2003) European tours/India solo gig
- BANDLEADER/COMPOSER B-BLUSH (1993-2003) CD releases European tours
- MARC RIBOT – DESCENT INTO BALDNESS (producer/director with Jörg Söchting) doc 1994
- COFFEE AND CIGARETTES feat. Iggy Pop + Tom Waits (producer) D: Jim Jarmusch short
1993 Winner Golden Palm, Cannes International Filmfestival
- SCHICKSAL UND ZUFALL (producer/director with M. Glasner) feature cinema 1990
- REQUIEM (producer, editor) D: Matthias Glasner feature festival film (Munich) 1986
++++++ PRESS ++++++
Rolling Stone Germany:
b-blush is a New York trio with the German singer Cassis B, whose voice at times is heavily reminiscent of chanteuses Debbie Harry and Nico. The music of the unusual band swings somewhere between pop, chanson and electronics. Instruments like saxophone, vibraphone or accordion take equal place with sequencers and different computerworks, without being embarrassing. How b-blush pulls this off is unexplainable. Maybe it is due to the cosmopolitan big apple atmosphere, or the determined will of these three musicians to create something new. Keep an eye on b-blush in the future. This band is taking pop to new places.
Analog Love - Cassis and the Sympathies: Benign, serene coming down from the clouds wilfully we slow dive into Analog Love, a neon lit lounge, default setting on sultry, though soon enough we allow the lady to take our hand and dance us into a wide open cinema land.
This is new wave old romantic, ambient, impulsive, addictive, a darker Julee Cruise, a content Nico, still slightly dangerous, a sweetly lethal bubblegum, deep blue tripping over the rhythm disguised as sighs.
There is that skewed perspective that Lydia Lunch gave on Queen of Siam, though this time the chanteuse is backed by a mixture of Yello and seemingly old time wicked Jazz musicians playing for their souls.
In these songs disturbing desire is just, always JUST, a finger click away. These are invitations to a languid version of Hell, an acceptably edgy version of Heaven. Piano and Accordion entice and bewitch in the guise of slick warped ballads, tears and escape, they urge us to close our eyes and
A cool journey away from the modern normal.
She became what not many Germans have accomplished in New York: talk of the (Down) Town.
One of the most unusual discoveries of Euro-Pop is called b-blush. You won't be able to put them in a drawer...
You are resting on a meadow, in the midst of rich grass. The sun is shining and so is the world. You open your eyes and you find yourself back on a couch, at home on a cold Septmeber-day. In this case you probably have 'heartcore' from b-blush in your cd player, spheric, loungy and floating. On the 6th of October the New York band performs in Berlin and promises a trip hop electronic performance that 'llshoot straight into your heart.
b-blush are presenting disturbing pleasant music and are drawing you in big time. - Whoever wanders through the ir sound landscape s reminded of Portishead or Bjoerk - or of the music that would be in a jukebox on Mars.
...the surprise of the month - b-blush from New York. Not only the instrumentation of the quartett surrounding the singer Cassis is unusual. Their style is looking for idols like Portishead, some Jazz and many new ideas. The artistic of Cassis with the cult director Jim Jarmusch has influenced their music.
Cassis B succeeded in something that others only dream about: as a German to conquer New York. Cosmopilitan dance grooves, europop, electronics. There is no name yet for b-blush's style.
b-blush takes the best of New York and Berlin. With European pop-trips they are cooling the hectic New York downtown-puls. The chanson voice as well as the accordion and vibraphone are lending the human touch to the electronic ambience. Aesthetically following the 4AD-Light-Acts, they urge you to dance or fly.
Blushing? Oh no! Showing emotions? Uhhh! One doesn't do that? b-blush does it with style. They not only have fun with it but also success. The singer, Cassis, shows how you can sink heavily into couch pillows weighed down by trembling thoughts. Or how you can dance in the spring rain with a melancholic yearning heart....
Dare to live. Cassis is always on the move like the beats that dance in her midi-accordion, bonbon-pop with a slide taste of sweet-saltylicorice...
Cassis B, the focus of the band. with her red dress, her big gestures and her cool yet erotic voice. 'Take it Easy' - that's what the music reflects as well, passionately playful. ... a band with the flair of the New York Boheme... ressembles Velvet Underground and Nico. But b-blush is unique and it will be interesting to follow their future.
Time Out NY, Amy Kellner:
Get there early for trippy, ethereal pop act b-blush. German chanteuse and accordionist Cassis leads the swirly, playful group, which also features David Cossin - a member of the wacky Blue Man Group. The band's lovely album 'heart- core' would be much treasured by fans of the Cocteau Twins. Live, it incorporates an ambient slide show, and it will make you feel glamorously transcontinental.
CMJ, New York:
Sweeping and majestic ethereal pop built from the foundation of an alluring accordion. b-blush winks it way into your heart courtesy of bi's sexy vocals and an unconventional bass/drums/vibraphone rhythm section.
Viva TV, Germany:
The new buzz in New York: b-blush. The popband with unusual instrumentation (sax, accordeon, vibraphone,...), intelligent lyrics and a charming german singer is creating a visceral vibe.
Time Out NY, Rob Kemp:
b-blush is the area's premier oompahcore outfit. b-blush will appeal to fans who crave a more Teutonic version of Congo Norvell. We recommend this show highly." - "b-blush purveys ’continental' pop, which shouldn't put you in the mind of the East Village hard-rock strong hold. Think accordion-driven chansons given a downtown spin." - "You feel like you're sitting near the Seine drinking wine during springtime when you hear blush's accordion driven stylings." - "Wistful, accordion-festooned lounge act b-blush...
NY Press pick: NY Press, John Strausbaugh:
Bi and her band forge beyond the lounge scene with their lush, ironic neo-cabaret music. They build their tunes in languid, sometimes trippy washes of accordion sighs and echoing vibes, the tempo as measured as Enya's pulse. Bi sings studiously offhand deadpan - cf. Nico, Deborah Harry, Karen Akers - nicely undercut by winking, off-kilter lyrics ('You stood me up / No exception, no rule / It's what it is / Don't trigger me'). Cool yet warm and likable.
With her loungy accordion and the irony implicit in her unruffled vocal delivery, Bi leads her bass-drums-vibraphone combo in slouching and winking its way through a smart futuro-cabaret act. A warm heart pumps just beneath the cool surface of this statuesque pose and makes it, uh, Blush.
Bild Zeitung, Germany:
Their first CD reveals their passion...
German Rolling Stone:
Pressestimmen: Pop der Zukunft - cosmopolitscher Tanzbeat. Die B-Blush sind ein New Yorker Trio mit einer deutschen Sängerin namens Cassis, deren Stimme zuweilen recht kräftig an Chanteusen wie Debbie Harry oder Nico erinert. Die Musik der ungewöhnlichen Band schwingt irgendwo zwischen Pop, Chanson und Elektronik. Instrumente wie Saxofon, Vibrafon oder Akkordeon nehmen neben Sequenzern und allerlei Computerkram gleichberechtigt Platz, ohne dass dabei der gewohnt-peinliche Effekt der Bemühtheit entsteht. Wie sie es machen, ist unklar. Vielleicht liegt es aber an dem weltoffenen Big-Apple Ambiente, oder auch nur am beherzten Willen dieser drei Musiker, etwas Neues zu schaffen. Sollte man sich für die kommenden Jahre vormerken. Hier hat Pop eine Zukunft.(Song ’Big Red Riding Hood auf dem Heft beiliegender CD)
Der Knoten im NetzEin bewährtes Small-Talk-Thema besagt, dass es ein jeder jeden anderen Menschen über höchstens sechs Mittelsleute kennt. In der Musikbranche dürften es weit weniger Stationen sein, zumal hier bands wie b-blush als internationale Kontaktbörse fungieren: Viele von Rang und Namen haben mit dem New Yorker Trio gearbeitet - und das, obwohl es erst eine 5 Titel CD vorgelegt hat: der Gitarrist Marc Ribot, der Münchner Trommler Falk Willis und sein Kollege Andre Rattay von Blumfeld, Christian Schantz aus dem Notwist-Kreis und etliche viele mehr. B-blush- Percussionist David Cossin hat bei der Oscar-prämierten Filmmusik für Ang Lees 'Tiger and Dragon' getrommelt; Cassis - Sängerin und Akkordeonistin aus Berlin - hat an Videos von Jim Jarmusch mitgewirkt. B-blush sind begehrt, weil sie gut sind. Ihre elektronisch angereicherten Chansons, die sich nicht für Dur oder Moll entscheiden möchten, spielen die drei in München im Club 2.